By Chandra M. Mehrotra,Lisa S. Wagner,Stephen Fried,Chandra Mehrotra
This new version has been thoroughly rewritten and contains chapters that handle key themes in variety and getting older: learn equipment, mental getting older; well-being ideals, behaviors, and prone; overall healthiness disparities; casual and formal take care of older people; paintings and retirement; non secular association and spirituality; and loss of life, death, and bereavement. Taking a extensive view of range, Mehrotra and Wagner speak about parts of range reminiscent of gender, race or ethnicity, spiritual association, social category, rural-urban neighborhood place and sexual orientation. together with those parts permits them to exhibit a number of the wealthy complexities of our different tradition - complexities that offer either demanding situations to satisfy the desires of numerous inhabitants and possibilities to benefit tips to dwell in a pluralistic society.
Throughout the publication, Mehrotra and Wagner current updated wisdom and scholarship in a manner that engages readers in energetic studying. instead of easily transmitting details, the authors position ongoing emphasis on constructing readers’ wisdom and talents; fostering greater order pondering and inspiring exploration of non-public values and attitudes.
Distinctive beneficial properties of the publication include:
- Opening vignettes for every bankruptcy that current a sampling of the way the problems to be mentioned practice to various elders.
- Active studying reviews that invite readers to interview diversified elders, behavior net searches, and provides an research of a case study.
- Quizzes on the finish of the chapters support readers ensure the level to which they've got discovered the cloth; the most important for every quiz comprises information about right and fallacious responses in order that extra studying can occur.
- Aging and variety on-line containers interspersed through the booklet supply web assets that readers may well use to discover new learn and publications.
- Suggested readings and audiovisual assets given on the finish of every bankruptcy function a advisor to additional info on subject matters coated within the bankruptcy.
This strategy of providing the fabric can assist the readers comprehend and observe key ideas and ideas in ways in which won't in simple terms enhance the lives of older humans they serve, yet also will increase their very own getting older experience.
Read or Download Aging and Diversity: An Active Learning Experience PDF
Best gerontology books
This thought-provoking paintings grapples with the sizeable variety of matters linked to the getting older inhabitants and demanding situations humans of every age to imagine extra boldly and extra creatively concerning the courting among older american citizens and their groups. W. Andrew Achenbaum starts through exploring the demographics of our getting older society and its influence on employment and markets, schooling, healthiness care, faith, and political motion.
A range of complaints from the 2004 organization for Gerontology in better schooling annual convention getting older schooling in an international Context is a gently thought of set of papers in line with chosen court cases from the 2004 organization for Gerontology in larger schooling annual convention. each one forward-thinking presentation offers detailed views on instructing assets and schooling, offering a wellspring of artistic principles for brand new and skilled academics in gerontology and getting older schooling.
This choice of readings provides quite a few views on growing older from various groups around the usa: local American, Puerto Rican, African American, the aged homeless, white operating type, homosexual and Mexican among many others. The readings hide themes reminiscent of: existence path; social and mental contexts of growing older; paid and unpaid task; the yank kin; and well-being.
Mega-trends of contemporary tradition, the quick getting older of the inhabitants and the inexorable advances in know-how, have fueled the advance of gerontechnology--the use oftechnology to maintain person autonomy to a complicated age. This expansive bookencompasses state of the art learn in gerontechnology and promising new technologies,products, and prone that may increase actions of day-by-day dwelling, basic wellbeing and fitness, and wellbeingof older members.
- Transforming Palliative Care in Nursing Homes: The Social Work Role (End of Life Care: A Series)
- Implementing Culture Change in Long-Term Care: Benchmarks and Strategies for Management and Practice
- Nursing Home Administration, Sixth Edition
- Neue Wohnformen im Alter: Wohngemeinschaften und Mehrgenerationenhäuser (German Edition)
Additional info for Aging and Diversity: An Active Learning Experience