By Susan Pickard
"With nice rigour, but an enviable lightness of contact, Susan Pickard has written an interesting and obtainable booklet that scholars will love."
- Rosaline Gill, urban college London
"A scholarly journey de strength that brings into concentration some of the disciplines, histories, literatures and knowledges that experience reworked us into sleek matters of age."
- Stephen Katz, Trent University
Age Studies takes an invigorating method of the study of age and ageing in modern society. Encompassing getting old through the lifestyles direction, taking in adolescence, youth, mid-life and older age, and located explicitly inside of a sociological disciplinary framework, Age Studies:
- Explores present social technological know-how debates at the examine of growing old linking those to center sociological concepts.
- Links thought and alertness, utilizing a number of examples and overseas case studies
- Includes bankruptcy summaries, additional analyzing and guided questions.
A thought-provoking significant other to complicated undergraduates and postgraduate scholar learning growing older, older humans, social gerontology and similar courses.
Read or Download Age Studies: A Sociological Examination of How We Age and are Aged through the Life Course PDF
Best gerontology books
This thought-provoking paintings grapples with the massive diversity of matters linked to the getting older inhabitants and demanding situations humans of every age to imagine extra boldly and extra creatively concerning the dating among older americans and their groups. W. Andrew Achenbaum starts through exploring the demographics of our getting older society and its influence on employment and markets, schooling, overall healthiness care, faith, and political motion.
A range of complaints from the 2004 organization for Gerontology in greater schooling annual convention getting older schooling in a world Context is a gently thought of set of papers in accordance with chosen court cases from the 2004 organization for Gerontology in better schooling annual convention. each one forward-thinking presentation presents precise views on educating assets and schooling, featuring a wellspring of artistic rules for brand new and skilled lecturers in gerontology and getting older schooling.
This choice of readings provides a number of views on ageing from varied groups around the usa: local American, Puerto Rican, African American, the aged homeless, white operating type, homosexual and Mexican among many others. The readings disguise subject matters akin to: existence direction; social and mental contexts of getting older; paid and unpaid task; the yankee relatives; and health and wellbeing.
Mega-trends of contemporary tradition, the speedy getting older of the inhabitants and the inexorable advances in expertise, have fueled the improvement of gerontechnology--the use oftechnology to maintain person autonomy to a complicated age. This expansive bookencompasses state of the art study in gerontechnology and promising new technologies,products, and providers which may enhance actions of day-by-day residing, normal healthiness, and wellbeingof older participants.
- Adult Personality Development: Volume 1: Theories and Concepts
- Multidisciplinary public health: Understanding the development of the modern workforce
- Betriebliche Gesundheitsförderung älterer Arbeitnehmer (German Edition)
- Annual Review of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Volume 26, 2006: The Crown of Life: Dynamics of the Early Postretirement Period (Annual Review of Gerontology & Geriatrics)
Additional info for Age Studies: A Sociological Examination of How We Age and are Aged through the Life Course